TheTool & Die Machinist, an integral part of our plant operations team,analyzes specifications, lays out metal stock, sets up and operates machine tools, and fits and assembles parts to fabricate and repair metalworking dies, cutting tools, jigs and fixtures, gauges, and machinists' hand tools. Mustwork with all personnel to help the plant improve and run efficiently.
- Pay rate is $29.41/hr, plus5%night shift differential.
- Shift - 12-hour shift; 4 days on/4 days off with opportunity for overtime.
- Hiring manager will determine crew shift 6AM to 6PM or 6PM to 6AM.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Sets up and operates machine tools such as lathes, milling machine, EDM, Pantograph, and grinder, to machine parts, and verifies conformance of machined parts to specifications.
- Studies specifications such as blueprints, sketches, models, or descriptions, and visualizes product to determine materials required and machines to be used to fabricate parts.
- Computes dimensions, plans layout, and determines assembly method and sequence of operations.
- Develops specifications from general descriptions for specialty tools and draws or sketches design of product.
- Works to extremely close tolerances, often within .0001".
- Smoothes flat and contoured surfaces and power grinders, and fits and assembles parts together and into assemblies and mechanisms.
- Connects wiring and hydraulic lines to install electrical and hydraulic components.
- Examines standard or previously used dies, tools, and jigs and fixtures, and recommends design modifications regarding construction and function of part.
- Plans and constructs intricate tools, dies, fixtures, molds, and gauges where accurate relationship, fitting, interchangeability of parts requires extremely close tolerances to fits.
- Constructs tools where no design is available, determines metal flow in dies, selects allowances, performs difficult development work, and makes tool tryouts.
- Fits and assembles parts involving irregular contours, large number of holes or numerous die sections.
- Repairs parts of mold that are defective.
- Fit up cores, cavities, ejector pins and moving parts within .0005 clearance.
- Finish parts to print dimensions.
- Makes new parts for molds according to print plus grinds stock before heat-treating.
- Heat treats parts to specifications per print.
- Drills out water lines.
- Drills and counter bores for water lines.
- Plugs and bores gauge hole diameters.
- Trig angles for grinding and machining.
Silgan is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, or the presence of a disability, which would not prevent the performance of essential job duties with, or without reasonable accommodation of any other protective status.
Silgan is a drug-free workplace.